Test Failed: - (501, \'Address syntax error: \', \'My Name\') Error
Le Dude
2012-03-20 00:06:14 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Test Failed: - (501, \'Address syntax error: \', \'My Name\') Error"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65323#65323

Hi.

I'm having this strange error that I can't figure out what's up with it.  I created a user with an email address but when I clicked test email, this is the error I got..

Test Failed: - (501, \'Address syntax error: \', \'My Name\')

Has anyone sees this and have a way to fix it?  I googled it like crazy and I'm sure I must have missed something because I can't seem to find the solution.  Please help?  Many thanks.

jcurry
2012-03-20 16:01:43 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Test Failed: - (501, \'Address syntax error: \', \'My Name\') Error"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65326#65326

Have you setup the parameters for your mail host correctly under ADVANCED -> Settings?  SMTP host, port, username, password and, potentially, the From Address and the Use TLS flag?
Cheers,
Jane

Le Dude
2012-03-20 17:43:13 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: Test Failed: - (501, \'Address syntax error: \', \'My Name\') Error"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65328#65328

Hi Jane.

Thanks for the info and yes I did set everything up and I  make sure that my password is correct and the whole enchiladas.  But still with the same error which is weird.

jcurry
2012-03-20 17:59:09 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Test Failed: - (501, \'Address syntax error: \', \'My Name\') Error"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65329#65329

Any chance you could screenshot your user setup with the email test button?  The 'My Name@ bit looks weird...
Cheers,
Jane

Le Dude
2012-03-20 18:51:44 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: Test Failed: - (501, \'Address syntax error: \', \'My Name\') Error"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65334#65334

Hi Jane.

The 'My Name' Was my other name that I replaced for posting purposes.  :-)  But yes I don't mind posting the snapshot.  My upfront apology that I'm blurring the email address name.  Avoiding spam.  :-) Here you go.  Will this snapshot suffice or do you need more? Many thanks.

Le Dude
2012-03-22 00:44:37 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: Test Failed: - (501, \'Address syntax error: \', \'My Name\') Error"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65364#65364

Any thought Jane?  :-)

jcurry
2012-03-22 10:42:15 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Test Failed: - (501, \'Address syntax error: \', \'My Name\') Error"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65365#65365

That looks fine.  I suspect the problem is on your main ADVANCED -> Settings page where you fill in the SMTP parameters.  Have you filled in the "From Address for Emails" field?

For my test system, I have left this field blank.  Looking at my test system, which is called ***@localdomain ('cos I haven't  really set it up properly), when I send a test message to my email address, the From field in the resulting email is ***@localhost.localdomain.  This is a legal email address though my email administrator is a bit surprised that our email system accepts it.  The bottom line is that the from  field must be legal to your email system - otherwise you get a 501 error.

If you have left yours blank, then try setting it to a legal email address and try again.

The problem with this in general is that different email systems may be more or less picky about the from address that they will accept so your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Jane

Le Dude
2012-03-22 16:49:28 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: Test Failed: - (501, \'Address syntax error: \', \'My Name\') Error"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65386#65386

Jane.

You are a genius...  Thank you and yes that solved the problem.  I was under the impression (wasn't reading it properly after many nights lack of sleep.  No excuse though) that "From Address for Emails" field is supposed to be filled with name only rather than email address.  I'm not sure why I didn't even think about it.  Many thanks again for your help.  You are awesome.  :-)  Have a wonderful day..