/Status/IpService issues
Robert Bell
2011-11-16 19:16:50 UTC
Robert Bell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wasguru] created the discussion

"/Status/IpService issues"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62648#62648

I've been watching this problem for some time I'll explain what I see and what I've done to invetigate it

Problem: Randomly thorougout the day (and night) some or all of my IP Service monitors report down. Usually they flip flop for a few hours down then up then down and so on. Throughout this time the application is fine and the ports and associated services are in fact up and running fine.

Naturally I assumed there was some network problem but I've written an event script that does an nmap on the port, traceroute and ping flood to the device in question. I change the command interval to 20 seconds. So this script runs within 20 seconds of an IP down event. In EVERY instance the network tools tell me the port, connection and route are just fine.

So now I'm asking. What is Zenoss doing to check these ports and what debugging can I get from Zenoss because its +*not*+ a network problem at this point. Please don't tell me to adjust my alerting to count > x or some such thing. If a system is down I want to know ASAP, what I dont want are false positive events.

Thanks