Zenoss 4.2 & WMI windows 2008 R2 sp1
neuromancer
2012-10-23 16:25:58 UTC
neuromancer [http://community.zenoss.org/people/neuromancer] created the discussion

"Zenoss 4.2 & WMI windows 2008 R2 sp1"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69469#69469

Anyone has tried to model a w2008 machine with WMI only?
I've followed several docs to enable remote access to WMI but nothing to do, I get ever a "NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED"

I have used a local account without privileges and granted remote launch on DCOM and WMI itself...

ieldib
2012-10-24 02:09:18 UTC
ieldib [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ieldib] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 & WMI windows 2008 R2 sp1"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69480#69480

Not sure if  wmic is available is zenoss enterprise specific but you can use somethign like:

wmic -U "yourdomain\youserdomainuser%yourdomainuserpassword" //SERVERNAMEORIP  "select * from Win32_ComputerSystem"  - as the zenoss user

If you still get an access denied message then you are having some windows related auth issue. The user you create for monitoring should be an admin user (or atleast part of the performance monitors group) and part of the performance monitors group.

neuromancer
2012-10-24 08:45:45 UTC
neuromancer [http://community.zenoss.org/people/neuromancer] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 & WMI windows 2008 R2 sp1"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69496#69496

wmic exist also on core environment, I've tried the command with local account without success (even if the user has the auth on DCOM and WMI).
I've tested the command with a domain admin account and it works, so I proceeded modeling the object but after half an hour graphs are empty and I don't see windows events neither software list.
The best choice IMHO is snmp informant, moreover win 2008 SNMP service has WMI provider extension so I can gather info on WMI from this.

win2008 is  a unusefoul bunch of code...

Thanks in advance.