Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices.
James T
2012-11-05 23:57:12 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69699#69699

Hi All,

I recently inherited a Zenoss Community 3.1.0 server running on an old CentOS 5.8 (Final) server.

My questions is:
What's the best way to get this machine up to 4.2?

Right now I'm looking at following this guide but I'm not 100% sure the guide is up to date.
http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-13022 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-13022

Seems like by following the guide I'll need to get a 3rd party rpm for mysql-server-5.5.  Can't wait to get this thing migrated over to a brand spanking new machine running 4.2 SP1 eventually!

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

dpetzel
2012-11-06 03:27:37 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69700#69700

That doc is about as close as your going to get a documented procedure. The zenoss installation documents are very sparse on this process. I have not yet undergone my upgrade so I don't have any specific docs to share.

That said, you might want to ask yourself Do you need to do an in place upgrade, or can you spin up a secondary macine with Core4. If you can do a side by side installation, you have a ton more flexibility and can step your way into. If you didnt have a hand in the original setup, you might have some landmines waiting for you on the older instance

James T
2012-11-06 18:42:47 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69731#69731

I've got Core 4.2 going smooth on a new server in the same rack actually.  I was thinking I need to upgrade the original 3.1 server though before I could migrate between the two.

Is this correct?

Maybe I should redo the second machine in 3.1, migrate, and then upgrade from there.  Or is that what you meant already?

James T
2012-11-06 19:10:08 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69732#69732

Okay, I'm doing more reading of the 4.2 admin docs and now it seems like maybe it is okay to migrate to newer versions.  Seeing some sections like:

"If you use these tools to go from an older version to a newer version, you should run zenmigrateafter the
restore operation."

So it sounds do-able.  This would be super-preferable, you're right.  Going to give it a shot now.

2012-11-06 19:12:05 UTC

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69722#69722

There was a thread here recently that tried that - it doesn't work. You can only restore a backup to the same version of Zenoss, and can only do in place upgrades.

James T
2012-11-06 19:46:31 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69733#69733

Thanks James.  I'd already had the machine set up on 4.2 so I just tried it out anyway.

The zenrestore didn't give any errors, same for the zenmigrate, but when I tried to startup the zenoss services again it had issues starting the eventserver.  Tons of errors like this in the logs related to "...com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions...".  So you were right, it didn't work.

Going to set up a new machine with 3.1, migrate, and then upgrade in place on the new machine.  Hope this works, I'll post any issues I have in case someone runs into the same problems.

Following these two guides:
Upgrade: http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-13022 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-13022
Migrate: http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-8583 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-8583

dpetzel
2012-11-06 20:13:33 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69726#69726

What exactly are you trying to "Save" from the current installation. Based on that, it might be easier to NOT upgrade, but just migrate/transition. You can dump and load devices, via something like http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-2501 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-2501

You will already need to confirm are you existing zenpacks work on core 4, so being able to just install them one at a time on the core box might be easier.

Additionally the historical performance data is just RRD files on the file system so those could be copied over as well.

I guess I question (for my own upgrade as well), is the upgrade easier than a side by side migration

James T
2012-11-06 20:26:05 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69734#69734

Things I want to keep:
-About 2000 devices.
-Historical RRD data for each device.
-2 extra zenpacks which I've already tested installing succesfully in 4.2.
-Some custom user reports for devices.

I'm not sure if I really need the events database stuff necessarily.  It would be nice but I guess not 100% necessary for me to carry over.  Hm...  Maybe I'll try it this way then?  I'm torn.  : )

dpetzel
2012-11-06 20:28:37 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69727#69727

Well your SOL on the events anyway....

6.1.2.2. Migrate Events (3.2.x to 4.2)
Zenoss Core includes a fully redesigned event processing and storage system. *At this time, upgrades will not*
*automatically migrate events from Zenoss 3.2.x*. A new, empty event table is created in the new schema after
upgrade.

Like you I'm still in flux on which direction I prefer to take.

James T
2012-11-06 20:32:29 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69735#69735

Ah okay, well good to know on the events.  No biggy there for me.

I've just finished doing a clean install on my new machine.  I'm going to try the device dumping method first and see how far I get.  Will keep this thread up to date.

James T
2012-11-06 22:03:15 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69737#69737

Hm...  Already hitting a wall.  Maybe.

I run: "zendevicedump -o mydevicelist.xml"
...and wind up just waiting with no output for a long time.  Is this normal?

Had a look at the output file and it's currently blank.  The process for zendevicedump is eating up a good little chunk of CPU and Mem though.  Tried an strace and from what I can tell it's running pretty normally.

Maybe it doesn't build the xml file until it's polled everything?  Going to leave it running for a while anyway.

James T
2012-11-06 23:27:31 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69742#69742

Okay, looks like I'm having some unrealated issues with zendump. :(   Posted that in a separate thread ( http://community.zenoss.org/thread/18703 http://community.zenoss.org/thread/18703 ).

Aborting this plan for now and am gona switch over and try setting up a 3.1 machine in parallel, migrating and then upgrading.

James T
2012-11-09 17:41:30 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69809#69809

I've configured the new machine with Zenoss 3.1, the only difference being it's running Centos 5 64bit instead of 32bit like the original machine.

I ran into an issue where running my zenbackup command (as the zenoss user) took a very long time at the RRDs backup stage.  We have a lot of graph data so this makes sense to me that it would take so long.

This morning when I checked up on the machine though it had gobbled all the ram and swap, so... totally unresponsive.  I had to reboot it at that point.

Wonder if there's a way to backup the graph data seperately?  I have backups I ran with "--no-perfdata".  I also have converted all the RRDs to xml succesfully.

Could I just copy the RRD data directly to the new machine?

dpetzel
2012-11-09 19:11:52 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69810#69810

You should be able to just copy them.
For our backups we run the --no-perfdata, and let the backup agent pick up the RRDs from disk independently.

James T
2012-11-09 23:22:01 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69814#69814

Alright, good to know thanks.
I had a look and it seems like we've got a whopping 120gb of graph data.  Yeesh. : |  It's transfering over now and the backup restore of devices worked very well as far as I can tell so far.

James T
2012-11-14 22:12:23 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69930#69930

Hitting another brick wall.  This time with dependancies.

My scenario now is:

-I have one Zenoss Core 3.1 machine (box1) in production, untouched.
-I have a duplicate Zenoss Core 3.1 machine (box2) which I've migrated the data from the production server to.
-On box2 I've started upgrading from 3.1 to 4.2:
http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-13022 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-13022

So far everything's been succesful until now.  I try to install the rpm for 4.2 core:
rpm -Uvh zenoss-4.2.0.el5.x86_64.rpm
warning: zenoss-4.2.0.el5.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID aa5a1ad7
error: Failed dependencies:
        jre >= 1.6.0 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        libexslt.so.0()(64bit) is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        librrd.so.4()(64bit) is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        libxslt >= 1.1 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        libxslt.so.1()(64bit) is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        mysql-shared >= 5.5.13 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        nagios-plugins >= 1.4.15 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        nagios-plugins-dig >= 1.4.15 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        nagios-plugins-dns >= 1.4.15 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        nagios-plugins-http >= 1.4.15 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        nagios-plugins-ircd >= 1.4.15 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        nagios-plugins-ldap >= 1.4.15 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        nagios-plugins-ntp >= 1.4.15 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        nagios-plugins-perl >= 1.4.15 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        nagios-plugins-ping >= 1.4.15 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        nagios-plugins-rpc >= 1.4.15 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        nagios-plugins-tcp >= 1.4.15 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        rrdtool >= 1.4.7 is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64
        sysstat is needed by zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el5.x86_64

I also tried:
yum --nogpgcheck localinstall zenoss-4.2.0.el5.x86_64.rpm

But it can't resolve the dependancies, missing dependancies...  Should I not even be trying to upgrade a 5.8 box?
Maybe I should install Zenoss 3.1 onto a Centos 6 box and then upgrade that?

dpetzel
2012-11-15 03:22:01 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69941#69941

Sadly, I don't believe there are any official 3.1 el6 rpms. Bit of a catch 22...

Also I think after hackman wrote that doc, they changed many of the RPM dependencies. Out of curiosity can you manually install those dependencies before installing the RPM?

James T
2012-11-15 19:23:57 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69957#69957

Okay, more good stuff to know.  Thanks.

Looks like I'm having some success finally here.  I've got all the deps installed, had to update the database (see http://community.zenoss.org/thread/17767 http://community.zenoss.org/thread/17767 ), but it finally worked!

When starting up zenoss for the first time it goes through the migration as expected.  Quite a ways into it I'm seeing a problem though.  Wonder if this is just a single job which was hung in the queue or something..  maybe I could just delete the jobs in the folder and hope it goes okay if I retry?

[***@hydrus ~]# /etc/init.d/zenoss start
INFO:zen.migrate:rate=220.43/sec count=14000
INFO:zen.migrate:rate=161.21/sec count=14200
INFO:zen.migrate:Finished total time=87.79 rate=161.92 count=14214
INFO:zen.migrate:Updating Ipv6 Catalog
INFO:zen.migrate:Finished total time=0.00 rate=0.00 count=0
INFO:zen.migrate:Installing RebuildPathIndex (4.0.0)
INFO:zen.migrate:rate=506.55/sec count=25000
WARNING:zen.migrate:Unable to index /zport/dmd/JobManager/jobs/DeviceCreationJobStatus_3ea38941-1315-4b21-b4a0-a7cb75eeb0be/DeviceCreationJob_3ea38941-1315-4b21-b4a0-a7cb75eeb0be
WARNING:zen.migrate:Recovering
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/zenmigrate.py", line 19, in <module>
    main()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/zenmigrate.py", line 16, in main
    m.main()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/Migrate.py", line 424, in main
    self.cutover()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/Migrate.py", line 311, in cutover
    self.migrate()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/Migrate.py", line 287, in migrate
    m.cutover(self.dmd)
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/rebuildPathIndex.py", line 43, in cutover
    zport.global_catalog.catalog_object(x.getObject(),x.getPath(),
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python/Products/ZCatalog/CatalogBrains.py", line 102, in getObject
    return parent.restrictedTraverse(path[-1])
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'restrictedTraverse'

Feel like I'm really close!  Thanks for helping me out.

James T
2012-11-15 23:30:50 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69963#69963

Got past it by deleting the jobs in zope...  Seems to get past that point but now another issue.

[***@hydrus ~]# /etc/init.d/zenoss start
INFO:zen.migrate:rate=212.76/sec count=14200
INFO:zen.migrate:Finished total time=87.57 rate=162.31 count=14214
INFO:zen.migrate:Updating Ipv6 Catalog
INFO:zen.migrate:Finished total time=0.00 rate=0.00 count=0
INFO:zen.migrate:Installing RebuildPathIndex (4.0.0)
INFO:zen.migrate:rate=493.24/sec count=25000
INFO:zen.migrate:rate=377.16/sec count=50000
INFO:zen.migrate:rate=447.31/sec count=75000
INFO:zen.migrate:rate=494.93/sec count=100000
INFO:zen.migrate:rate=399.78/sec count=125000
INFO:zen.migrate:rate=473.31/sec count=150000
INFO:zen.migrate:rate=466.88/sec count=175000
INFO:zen.migrate:Finished total time=396.71 rate=446.99 count=177328
INFO:zen.migrate:Installing MigrateWindowCatalog (4.0.1)
INFO:zen.migrate:Installing FixLinkUpDownTransforms (4.0.70)
WARNING:zen.migrate:Recovering

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/zenmigrate.py", line 19, in <module>
    main()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/zenmigrate.py", line 16, in main
    m.main()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/Migrate.py", line 424, in main
    self.cutover()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/Migrate.py", line 311, in cutover
    self.migrate()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/Migrate.py", line 287, in migrate
    m.cutover(self.dmd)
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/fixLinkUpDownTransforms.py", line 42, in cutover
    event_class_instances = [parent.snmp_linkDown, parent.snmp_linkUp,]

James T
2012-11-19 18:48:57 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70006#70006

Hackman238 helped me out a bit more.  I ran the following in zendmd as the zenoss user:

j=dmd.JobManager
if not getattr(j, "_relations", False): relnames = j.getRelationshipNames()

for name, schema in j._relations:
   try:
      j._setObject(name, schema.createRelation(name))
   except:
      pass

commit()

That worked without any errors.  Still seeing this after running a migrate:

INFO:zen.migrate:Installing RebuildPathIndex (4.0.0)
rate=801.50/sec count=177200
INFO:zen.migrate:Finished total time=394.42 rate=449.59 count=177328
INFO:zen.migrate:Installing MigrateWindowCatalog (4.0.1)
INFO:zen.migrate:Installing FixLinkUpDownTransforms (4.0.70)
WARNING:zen.migrate:Recovering
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/zenmigrate.py", line 19, in <module>
    main()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/zenmigrate.py", line 16, in main
    m.main()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/Migrate.py", line 424, in main
    self.cutover()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/Migrate.py", line 311, in cutover
    self.migrate()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/Migrate.py", line 287, in migrate
    m.cutover(self.dmd)
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/fixLinkUpDownTransforms.py", line 41, in cutover
    event_class_instances = [parent.snmp_linkDown, parent.snmp_linkUp,]
AttributeError: snmp_linkDown

James T
2012-11-19 22:29:53 UTC
James T [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chip] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss 3.1 -> 4.2, best practices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70009#70009

Okay, finally some really good progress on my migration from 3.1 to 4.2.  Big thanks to rmatte and hackman from IRC.  They helped me out with the steps.  Resuming from my previous error:

-Went to http://yourZenoss:8080/zport/dmd/JobManager/jobs/manage_main http://yourZenoss:8080/zport/dmd/JobManager/jobs/manage_main and confirmed my jobs folder was missing (my bad, I deleted it to fix the error 2 posts up with a stuck job).
-Ran this in zendmd:
j=dmd.JobManager
if not getattr(j, "_relations", False): relnames = j.getRelationshipNames()

for name, schema in j._relations:
   try:
      j._setObject(name, schema.createRelation(name))
   except:
      pass
commit()
-That got me past the job error but I was still seeing the snmp_linkDown error when performing migration.
- Edit: /opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/fixLinkUpDownTransforms.py
...and comment out FixLinkUpDownTransforms() -> #FixLinkUpDownTransforms()
-Ran zenmigrate again and got success.
-For good measure I ran "zenoss stop" as zenoss user.
-Logged in as root and ran "service zenoss start".  It ran a few migration steps and started up!  Migration complete.
-Just to be sure at this point that I had a good install they recommended a few more steps:
  -ran "zenchkrels -x1 -r" several times to fix relationship errors in my db
  -ran "zencatalog run --reindex"

Seems good so far, running 4.2!!!  : )