zenrestore Access denied for user 'zenoss'@'localhost' followed by more grief
joeadmin
2012-02-20 13:54:10 UTC
joeadmin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joeadmin] created the discussion

"Re: zenrestore Access denied for user 'zenoss'@'localhost' followed by more grief"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64606#64606

bump
I have this same issue I can not get a clean restore. Access denied for user ***@localhost.

I can loginto mysql with the zenoss account and the password. I changed my password to the zenoss account over a year ago would this be the issue?

Shane Scott
2012-02-21 16:06:16 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: zenrestore Access denied for user 'zenoss'@'localhost' followed by more grief"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64659#64659

joeadmin:

As the zenoss user, zendmd
dmd.ZenEventManager.host = 'localhost'
dmd.ZenEventManager.password = 'zenoss'
dmd.ZenEventManager.user = 'zenoss'
commit()
commit()
--Shane

joeadmin
2012-02-21 20:03:01 UTC
joeadmin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joeadmin] created the discussion

"Re: zenrestore Access denied for user 'zenoss'@'localhost' followed by more grief"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64676#64676

Thanks for the assist. However it still failed I believe the cause lies in the fact that MySQL password is encrypted and as such can not be entered from a cmd line.

For example; To use the MySQL command one inputs mysql -u zenoss -p database name

If you put a password in after the -p you will recieve the access denied error but if you leave it blank you are prompted for a password wich does not show on the screen when you enter it. Once your password is entered you can see the database specified

In ZenRestore the script appears to be calling for the password and if it is handed over then MySQL does not recognize it as it is looking for the encrypted password.

At least that is my take on the situation but I have been wrong before and I am looking forward to someone smarter than me resolving this issue. Am I the only one using an encrypted password for their mysql db?

Shane Scott
2012-02-21 20:08:41 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: zenrestore Access denied for user 'zenoss'@'localhost' followed by more grief"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64668#64668

joeadmin:

Encrption is too fancy for Zenoss. :)   dmd.ZenEventManager.password Isn't encrypted. Can you post the deny message when you mysql -u zenoss -p from the zenoss user on the zenoss master? I think it's table permissions.

--Shane

joeadmin
2012-02-21 20:29:10 UTC
joeadmin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joeadmin] created the discussion

"Re: zenrestore Access denied for user 'zenoss'@'localhost' followed by more grief"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64678#64678

My copy of MySQL seems to be encrypting all passwords as though it was a default setting. I need to look into my config of MySQL further.

I found I can get the backup of the events DB with MySQLDump and  I need to use the cmd :
mysqldump -u zenoss -p events >/usr/local/zenoss/backups/events.sql.

Restore using MySqldumb procedures.

When I do this I am prompted for a password and it works fine. If I place the password after the -p I get this message which is the same as I get with Zenrestore
mysqldump: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'zenoss'@'localhost' (using password: YES) when trying to connect

I can restore using Zenrestore by using the *--no-eventsdb* switch. THen Zenrestore works and I can use mysqldump to put the events db back.

I do not remember any warning about encrytping passwords if there is then I just missed it and if there is not maybe there should be as more people are thinking along the lines of encrypting any password as the standard.

Shane Scott
2012-02-21 20:34:05 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: zenrestore Access denied for user 'zenoss'@'localhost' followed by more grief"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64670#64670

joeadmin:

I agree the password should be encrypted in Zenoss.

--Shane