Changing Device Class leaves "Components" from old Device Class
mikea730
2013-09-02 18:43:01 UTC
mikea730 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mikea730] created the discussion

"Changing Device Class leaves "Components" from old Device Class"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74539#74539

Running Zenoss 3.2.1 on SUSE

What the correct prodedure to move devices from one Device Class to another?  For example, when I move a device from a /Server device class to the /Ping device class, there are still "Components" from the old Device Class under the "Components" container.   I don't want to delete and re-add the devices because the devices are associated to Groups, Systems, Locations, etc... and I don't want to have to re-associate this on all my devices I need to move.

Is there a way to "reset" a device when moving it to a new Device Class, yet still retain all the other associations like Groups, Systems, Locations?  I don't want the devices I move to have "left over" components and other objects from the old device class.

Thanks!!

Andrew Kirch
2013-09-03 01:08:10 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: Changing Device Class leaves "Components" from old Device Class"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74540#74540

try doing a quick remodel, it should fix your problem.

Andrew

mikea730
2013-09-03 02:39:59 UTC
mikea730 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mikea730] created the discussion

"Re: Changing Device Class leaves "Components" from old Device Class"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74547#74547

Sorry, I should have included the detail that I've run multiple remodels after the move.  Template bindings are removed, but the "components" are still there (disk, windows services, etc...) even though the devices are moved to "/Ping" device class.  I'm planning to upgrade to Core 4 and then moving the devices to the new WMI windows device class.  My concern is that there will be left over "artifacts" from the old device class.

Thanks!

mikea730
2013-09-05 00:18:39 UTC
mikea730 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mikea730] created the discussion

"Re: Changing Device Class leaves "Components" from old Device Class"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74567#74567

Now this is becoming a much bigger issue!

I'm attempting to upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.4 and it's failing on the orphan device components (Harddisk and Processors).  The upgrade requires that all non-zenoss core Zenpacks be deleted.  This is why I moved all the devices from the "/CIM/WMI" to "/ping" device class so they wouldn't be deleted when I deleted the zenpacks.  I then deleted the user zenpacks (WMIPerf zenpacks).  But the WMIPerf components are still associated to the devices (Harddisk and Processors components).   When I open one of the devices and select the components via the Zenoss interface, I get the same error in a popup that the migration tool get's when it fails.

TypeError: ('Could not adapt', <persistent broken ZenPacks.community.WMIPerf_Windows.Win32DiskDrive.Win32DiskDrive instance '\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00!5\xb7'>, <InterfaceClass Products.ZenUtils.guid.interfaces.IGlobalIdentifier>)

Any idea how I can get rid of these components.  There are too many devices to do this manually.  And the remodel does not do it.   I'm also concerned that there are other orphan objects I don't know about.

Please help!!!

mikea730
2013-09-10 19:21:03 UTC
mikea730 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mikea730] created the discussion

"Re: Changing Device Class leaves "Components" from old Device Class"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74589#74589

ok, I found the answer.  For some reason, when moving a device to /Ping, it does not clean up the components list.  I created a new temp device class called "/Upgrade".  When I move a device to this class the old WinPerf components are removed from the device.