Trigger rule based on host name (Resource?)
Rob Light
2013-04-30 14:03:52 UTC
Rob Light [http://community.zenoss.org/people/roblight] created the discussion

"Trigger rule based on host name (Resource?)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73010#73010

Is there a way to create a Trigger rule base on a host name?

In the Events table I see a Resource column that has the values (host names) I need to trigger on but I don't see this as an option when editing a Trigger.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Rob

vitaly_il
2013-05-01 07:44:30 UTC
vitaly_il [http://community.zenoss.org/people/vitaly_il] created the discussion

"Re: Trigger rule based on host name (Resource?)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73039#73039

it's called "device"

Rob Light
2013-05-06 17:08:24 UTC
Rob Light [http://community.zenoss.org/people/roblight] created the discussion

"Re: Trigger rule based on host name (Resource?)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73080#73080

Post by vitaly_il
it's called "device"
Thanks for the reply, vitaly_il!  What I have found is that in Zenoss 4.2.3 it's really called "Device (Element)" in the Trigger Rule drop-down box.  And that actually refers to "Device ID" (vs. "Device Title") in the Device Detail page.

Anyone know how to base a rule on Device Title?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

vitaly_il
2013-05-06 18:44:28 UTC
vitaly_il [http://community.zenoss.org/people/vitaly_il] created the discussion

"Re: Trigger rule based on host name (Resource?)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73081#73081

To say the truth, I was't aware about difference between "Device ID" and "Device Title" - by default I have FQDN in both fields.
May be your deviceID is  part of DeviceTitle, like in this question http://community.zenoss.org/thread/18301 http://community.zenoss.org/thread/18301?

In general, it seems me like a bug - IMHO, Zenoss should provide ability to use any event field in triggers.

Shane Scott
2013-05-10 20:56:28 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Trigger rule based on host name (Resource?)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73169#73169

vitaly:

The Device ID is the value returned by device.id and it's also the name listed in the URL when refering to the device.

Device Title is the value assigned to attribute device.title and potentially returned from the method device.titleOrId().

The title is a user friendly alias. In most cases you can't get a device context with the title alone unless you hit a catalog or iterate looking.

--Shane Scott (hackman238)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shanewilliamscott/ http://www.linkedin.com/in/shanewilliamscott/