Question and a possible bug.
Sassan Dibadj
2013-01-29 20:50:57 UTC
Sassan Dibadj [http://community.zenoss.org/people/saboom] created the discussion

"Question and a possible bug."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71279#71279

Hello, I've recently re-installed a fresh copy of Zenoss 4.2.3 on CentOS 6.

I'm only using it to monitor ACP UPS's so I installed the APC UPS Zenpack by jcurry.

My question is on how to setup an event/alert for a battery replacement or diagnostic failure. I currently can see that one of my devices needs a battery by selecting the device itself but I don't have an event showing up in the dashboard. I've tried a number of different things without any luck.

Could anyone tell me what steps to take for this to work properly?

The other problem I am having is that whenever I model a device I get a black screen with no information, once I close it the device does show up with it's newly modeled information but I can' t see the script running.

This has happened in both Chrom and IE and my flash and jave are both updated to latest versions. Besides not being able to see the modeler script running I can also not see the OID test on a device when adding data points. Same issue, black screen or white screen in IE.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

2013-01-29 20:55:21 UTC

"Re: Question and a possible bug."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71273#71273

What's the severity of the UPS event? If it's low enough, it won't show up on the dashboard. It should show up in the event list, but probably lower down...

To the second, try using Firefox.

Sassan Dibadj
2013-01-29 21:23:36 UTC

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71280#71280

"What's the severity of the UPS event? If it's low enough, it won't show up on the dashboard. It should show up in the event list, but probably lower down..."

I have all events down to debug level showing and since this is a fresh install I don't have clutter where it will be hidden.
I've attached an image showing what I see on the actual device.

I haven't setup any events/thresholds outside of the defaults. I guess my question would be what I need to setup for this trap to trigger an event on the dashboard.

It's obviously getting the information from somwhere based on the above screenshot, just not sure how to set it up to propogate to the events list.

Also,

Same behavior on Firefox, I get a black screen when monitoring.

2013-01-29 21:30:21 UTC

"Re: Question and a possible bug."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71274#71274

Hmmm, do you get any events on the dashboard? What about in the event console?

Sassan Dibadj
2013-01-29 21:37:56 UTC

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71282#71282

Post by jmp242
Hmmm, do you get any events on the dashboard? What about in the event console?
Yes, as a test I cut the internet connection to one of the UPS's and the dashboard/event viewer shows the device down. I also have a couple of devices that snmp doesn't work on and see the events for those as well.

The events I really want to have alerts for are below.

| noBatteries (http://129.112.112.112:8080/zport/dmd/Events/HW/Power/UPS/instances/noBatteries) | noBatteries | snmp trap noBatteries from 10.1.2.3 | 0 |

| powerRestored (http://129.112.112.112:8080/zport/dmd/Events/HW/Power/UPS/instances/powerRestored) | powerRestored | snmp trap powerRestored from 10.1.2.3 | 0 |
| upsBatteryNeedsReplacement (http://129.112.112.112:8080/zport/dmd/Events/HW/Power/UPS/instances/upsBatteryNeedsReplacement) | upsBatteryNeedsReplacement | snmp trap upsBatteryNeedsReplacement from 10.1.2.3 | 0 |
| upsBatteryReplaced (http://129.112.112.112:8080/zport/dmd/Events/HW/Power/UPS/instances/upsBatteryReplaced) | upsBatteryReplaced | UPS: Bad battery condition cleared. | 0 |
| upsDiagnosticsFailed (http://129.112.112.112:8080/zport/dmd/Events/HW/Power/UPS/instances/upsDiagnosticsFailed) | upsDiagnosticsFailed | UPS: Failed internal diagnostic self-test. | 0 |
| upsDiagnosticsPassed (http://129.112.112.112:8080/zport/dmd/Events/HW/Power/UPS/instances/upsDiagnosticsPassed) | upsDiagnosticsPassed | UPS: Passed internal self-test. | 0 |
| upsOnBattery (http://129.112.112.112:8080/zport/dmd/Events/HW/Power/UPS/instances/upsOnBattery) | upsOnBattery | snmp trap upsOnBattery from 10.1.2.3 | 0 |

2013-01-30 13:37:19 UTC

"Re: Question and a possible bug."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71293#71293

I didn't look closely enough at your first screenshot - that's not an event view, that's a component view. Can you send a screenshot of what the "Events" for that device shows - click on "events" on the left hand pane...

Sassan Dibadj
2013-01-30 14:16:15 UTC
Sassan Dibadj [http://community.zenoss.org/people/saboom] created the discussion

"Re: Question and a possible bug."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71306#71306

Here are the screenshots you asked for, no events for the battery replacement even though it knows there is a problem on the other screen. My main question is how to setup the event/thresholds for this to work.

jcurry
2013-01-30 20:33:25 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Question and a possible bug."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71316#71316

OK. This is how it works.  Some of the data is configuration data gathered by the modeler every 12 hours.  This includes the data that you see for the battery in the top half of the screen when you select the component.  One of the fields here is the BatteryReplacementIndicator which is showing a problem on your screenshot.

The MIB defines the BatteryStatusIndicator OID (1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.4.0) as:
0     = unknown
1     = OK
2     = Needs replacing.

The ZenPack translates those values into different coloured icons.  Unfortunately Zenoss doesn't peovide may icons to play with so I use the same icons that are used for event severity, to repreent the different status for a MIB variable - thus a green spot represents an OID value of 1 (OK) and a red (critical event style) spot represents an OID value of 2 (needs replacing).

That explains the staus icons at the top of your battery component panel but it doesn't get you events.

Events are generated when a performance template is applied and a threshold is breached. There are 2 templates as part of the ZenPack - ApcUps and ApcUpsInsAndOuts - look at them from ADVANCED -> Monitoring Templates.  They neither of them have thresholds defined - hence no events.

One thing that probably would be worth doing as an easy and proactive event, would be to put a threshold on the remainingCapacity and/or the remainingTime data points that are already defined.  You should have graph data of these to help set a suitable threshold.

The performance templates, as shipped, do not gather the BatteryReplacementIndicator OID value. However, it would be very easy to add that extra datapoint to the ApcUps template (copy one of the others and the OID you want ends in 4.0 - check the ApcUps MIB to verify).  Once you have the datapoint, you could then create a MINMAX threshold on that datapoint at max of 1, thus triggering on a value of 2 (Needs replacing).  As with any threshold, you get to set the class of the event and its severity.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jane

Sassan Dibadj
2013-01-31 15:02:45 UTC
Sassan Dibadj [http://community.zenoss.org/people/saboom] created the discussion

"Re: Question and a possible bug."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71305#71305

Thank you Jane, that worked great!

I had initially tried adding a upsBatteryNeedsReplacement 1.3.6.1.4.1.318.17 OID but either it was wrong or I had setup the threshold incorrectly. The OID and threshold values you provided worked great though and I think I know what to do going forward to add the rest of my alerts.

Thanks again for the response and the great ZenPack you wrote.