How to monitor one device with two SNMP communities
Radek Szyszko
2012-12-14 11:30:24 UTC
Radek Szyszko [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rszyszko] created the discussion

"How to monitor one device with two SNMP communities"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70544#70544

Hi, I have problem. I need to monitor devices which have two SNMP communities, where every community returns part of device's configuration. Device has one management ip address dedicated to collect SNMP info, so I can't add the same device twice -  zenoss says it's already configured.
Is there some method or even quirk to collect SNMP data from more than one community into one device?

zSNMPcommunities parameter is a list of communites, but from the code I see that only one is choosen. In fact it's always zSNMPcommunity.

themactech
2012-12-14 20:55:15 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: How to monitor one device with two SNMP communities"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70560#70560

Can you give more details as to what kind of device and how many datapoints?  One option is to do this via a command datapoint, where the command does an snmp query.  But that is only an option for a device with few datapoints I think.

What kind of device and how many things are you trying to poll?

Manuel

jcurry
2012-12-17 12:26:29 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: How to monitor one device with two SNMP communities"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70573#70573

Depending on how many devices you need to poll and the performance implications, you might use a zencommand template to collect performance data and hardcode the snmp community name into an appropriate snmpget statement.

You could even create a separate custom property and use that to define the second community name if you have lots of different variations.  You don't want to be doing this for LOTS of devices as zencommand is much more performance-intensive than zenperfsnmp but I have used this trick very successfully.

Cheers,
Jane

Radek Szyszko
2012-12-17 20:28:38 UTC
Radek Szyszko [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rszyszko] created the discussion

"Re: How to monitor one device with two SNMP communities"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70584#70584

nice hack, but performance seems to be very important - my zenoss instance monitors ~40 MX480 and 960, so there is a lot of interfaces. i suppose cmd is even more resource consuming than snmp.

Wysłane z iPhone'a
Post by Radek Szyszko
Zenoss Community
Re: How to monitor one device with two SNMP communities
created by jcurry in zenoss-users - View the full discussion
Depending on how many devices you need to poll and the performance implications, you might use a zencommand template to collect performance data and hardcode the snmp community name into an appropriate snmpget statement.
You could even create a separate custom property and use that to define the second community name if you have lots of different variations.  You don't want to be doing this for LOTS of devices as zencommand is much more performance-intensive than zenperfsnmp but I have used this trick very successfully.
Cheers,
Jane
Start a new discussion in zenoss-users by email or at Zenoss Community

nilie
2012-12-21 20:39:51 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: How to monitor one device with two SNMP communities"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70679#70679

Since it seems you can poll different MIB sub-trees based on community name in your devices, couldn't you try adding another community name allowing you to see exactly the desired part of the device's MIB tree ?