Script Monitoring
alex0cy
2012-10-04 13:38:38 UTC
alex0cy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/alex0cy] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68859#68859

I can see 2 solutions:

1. You shall create script on zenoss machine, which will ssh to remote server, run scripts there, check results in file, print message which will be shown in event console and exit with corresponding exit code (0: ok, 1: warning, 2: critical). This script shall be put in local 'command-type' template, attached to device.

2. You can trigger remote scripts by snmp requests (man snmpd.conf, check 'pass' parameter) and then query each script value by 'snmp-type' template. Events will be triggered by threshold. You will need to assign separate OID to each remote script.

Although second way looks more complicated it will give nice results and will follow zenoss ideology.

ianw1974
2012-10-04 06:35:47 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68857#68857

I have some scripts which I need to run that currently output the results to a text file.  I want to migrate these from one monitoring solution to Zenoss, and I'm not sure if it's possible or not.  But I hope so.

Let me explain how it works on the existing system.  The scripts exist under /home/monitoring/scripts on a remote server.  The existing solution connects via SSH to this remote server, runs the scripts and reads the output in a text file which is outputted on the remote server.  We then have alarms on the results to set whether it should be warning (yellow) or critical (red). The results of the text file will be something like this:

value1=2
value2=10
value3=5

then alarms generated based on how high the value is.  >= 10 is warning, >=20 critical.  < 10 OK.

Is it possible, and how?  As I can't find out how to do it exactly, or perhaps I have to do it another way?  I'm open to suggestions, it doesn't have to be scripts in the same way that I'm doing now, if it can be done differently.

themactech
2012-10-04 12:55:11 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68858#68858

What is the OS of the remote machine you run the scripts on?

Manuel

ianw1974
2012-10-05 12:07:02 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68880#68880

The remote systems vary, but can be Linux based or Unix based.  So RHEL/CentOS/Debian or Solaris/AIX on the other ones.  Normally we are doing an SSH connection and running the script to give the results.  But I expect I can do this similar to the Xen monitoring zenpack which runs commands and the values are returned and at this point graphed.

Don't know enough about SNMP to be attempting scripts here with assigning OID's etc, sounds a bit too complicated to me, and there's probably an easier way.

themactech
2012-10-05 13:20:08 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68881#68881

Extending the SNMP agent is not very complicated, and once it's done you are dealing with very simple SNMP OID data points in zenoss.  The advantage is that if the script needs to be somewhat different on the end points due to a difference in platform or setup, you reflect that in the script and nothing changes at the Zenoss end.

I have documented extending the SNMP agent (somewhere).  I am pretty slammed right now but will try and spoon feed the info to you as soon as I can.  It might be an elegant solution to your problem.  Extending the agent is not that complicated and is extremely powerful, might be a skill set you want to absorb.

I used it on Macs to determine the status of a software RAID and return it via SNMP, I've used it for a bunch of other scenarios as well.

You can also contact me directly at themactechATme.com

Manuel

ianw1974
2012-10-11 05:32:54 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69017#69017

Thanks, if you find it let me know.  I would be interested in it, as it might make my life a lot easier to deal with the scripting side of things to get it to pull the data via snmp.

Ryan Matte
2012-10-12 09:29:21 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69076#69076

Extending the SNMP agent is an option, but it's not really my personally preferred choice.  Here's what you would do to do it command based.

1. First off, make sure your script is outputting the data like so: OK|value1=7632 value2=68723 value3=7648* The "OK" before the | is just something that I do out of habbit, you can really put anything before it, or nothing, but the | has to be there as the first character.  So at a minimum you need |value1=72832 value2=78273.

2. Create a new monitoring template for a class or device
3. Add a command datasource to the template
4. Edit the options for the command datasource.1. Specify the command to be run
2. Specify whether or not it should be run via SSH.* If you specify to run it via SSH, make sure that you have the zCommandUsername and zCommandPassword properties set to the SSH username and password.  This can be set directly on a device or on an entire class.
* You may also want to adjust the zCommandPath as it will append this to the start of the command.  I usually just clear it.

3. You can either select Nagios as the parser type, or leave it as Auto to have it decide for itself.  Technically selecting Nagios will make performance a bit better since it doesn't have to determine what plugin to use.
4. Create datapoints under the datasource named after the data that is output by the plugin.  So in this example the datapoints would be called value1, value2 and value3.  If your output were something like OK|cpu=7282 memory=72922 then you would call the datapoints cpu and memory.

5. After the datasource and datapoints have been created you can create thresholds and graphs based on those datapoints.

ianw1974
2012-10-15 11:53:53 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69145#69145

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the info, I'm going to take a look at this soon, because I'm currently migrating from Zenoss 3.2.1 (Debian) to Zenoss 4.2 SP1 (CentOS), so when I finally get all of my 230+ devices added, I'll be able to take a look at the possibilities with the scripts, etc.

ianw1974
2012-10-23 09:12:28 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69457#69457

I understand the numerical values for graphing, but what can I do with the textual ones?  Here's an example of my output from the script:

|cluster_status=Active node_status=Active node_error_count=0 time_to_charge=0 battery_charging=100

so I can graph the numerical values no problem, but what about the status.  I want to have it so that Active means that all is OK, and it is it not Active, then something is wrong.

ianw1974
2012-10-23 10:33:20 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69458#69458

Actually I'm now outputting by creating various datapoints like this:

cluster_status
node_status
node_error_count
time_to_charge
battery_charging

and datapoints and graphs created for this.  The numerical values using DERIVE, although I don't know what to use for the textual ones.  Anyway, each one has a command that runs like this:

sainfo lsservicestatus | echo "|node_error_count="`grep node_error_count | cut -f2 -d " "`

as you can see, it will then output this:

|node_error_count=0

or various values, depending on what is happening.  Currently at present, graphs showing "nan" all the time, so I don't know if I'm getting any data or not.

ianw1974
2012-10-23 11:56:47 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69459#69459

I'm under the impression that it's not connecting and using SSH, even though that the datapoints have this selected.  So none of this is working.

I don't know how I'm supposed to get the SSH to work.  All the Configuration Preferences are set with the username and password (or in my case ssh key), and nothing.  It's frustrating, because I don't know what I'm missing.

Ryan Matte
2012-10-23 14:41:39 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69437#69437

I already explained what you can do with the status message in the last part of my explanation/examples that I had provided higher in this thread.

Ryan Matte
2012-10-23 14:43:23 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69438#69438

You can't capture strings like that, only integers.  For status you would need to rig the script to generate an alert if the status changes to an alert status.  I described how you would do this in the last part of my post.

ianw1974
2012-10-23 14:47:18 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69440#69440

OK thanks, so I'll cut out the strings, maybe they are stopping the rest from continuing and graphing.  So that you get a better picture, in case I didn't explain clearly.

I create the COMMAND with SSH enabled, I do this five times, for each of the things I am trying to run (of course will now be three, since it will be minus the strings).  So effectively:

node_error_count
time_to_charge
battery_charging

then under these you have the data points which I map to the graphs.  I run an SSH command for each item, because I'm grepping and filtering to give me the node_error_count, time_to_charge and battery_charging values.  Of which currently are 0, 0 and 100.

Just they don't appear, so I'm thinking that the connection via SSH is not happening, at least I can't see this when I model the device.

ianw1974
2012-10-23 14:55:52 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69441#69441

Attached screenshot, if it helps.

Ryan Matte
2012-10-23 21:59:28 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69442#69442

Make sure you configured the zCommandUsername and zCommandPassword properties with the correct username and password for Zenoss to use.  I also recommend clearing the zPythonPath property since that gets automatically appended to the start of the command if there's no complete path specified to the binary.  You can test to see what's happening as the zenoss user by doing: zencommand run -v10 -d YourDeviceName

Ryan Matte
2012-10-23 14:44:56 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69439#69439

Either that or you use integers for the status.  For instance you could make 1 = active and 0 = failed.  You'd then rig up a threshold to trigger on 0.  You could also use a transform to adjust the event message that is displayed.

Ryan Matte
2012-10-23 22:00:26 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69443#69443

Looking at that screenshot, since you haven't specified the full path to the command zPythonPath is probably your issue.  Clear it.

Ryan Matte
2012-10-23 22:01:49 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69444#69444

I meant to say zCommandPath, not zPythonPath.

ianw1974
2012-10-24 09:54:28 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69483#69483

I cleared the command path, it doesn't make a difference.

I'll check the zencommand that you listed here, and see if I can report back with something.

ianw1974
2012-10-24 10:19:11 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69484#69484

OK, I figured out the problem now.  On the device I'm connecting to with SSH, there is no grep or cat.  So that's why it was failing.  The zencommand showed this.

So, now I edited my template to disable the option for SSH, and now I run the command locally on the zenoss server so that grep and cat are available.  So now:

ssh -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa_macierz ***@machine01 sainfo lsservicestatus | echo battery_charging=`grep battery_charging | cut -f2 -d " "`

so zenoss does the SSH locally, allowing me to use the grep/cat commands.  This now gives me the results.  However, I also have machine02.  I don't want to create two templates, how can I reference the device?

${dev}
${ip}

I'm not sure which or how the values need to be so I can reference it and have one template for all devices?

ianw1974
2012-10-24 10:46:02 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69485#69485

Using ${device/manageIp} seems to do the trick.

ianw1974
2012-10-24 11:43:33 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69487#69487

This is what zencommand shows:

  events: [{'component': '',
  'device': 'machine01',
  'eventClass': '/Cmd/Fail',
  'eventKey': 'node_error_count',
  'message': '|node_error_count=0\n',
  'performanceData': ['node_error_count=0'],
  'severity': 0,
  'summary': ['']}]
  values: []}), (<Products.ZenRRD.zencommand.Cmd instance at 0x5ab0ab8>, ParsedResults
  events: [{'component': '',
  'device': 'machine01',
  'eventClass': '/Cmd/Fail',
  'eventKey': 'battery_charging',
  'message': '|battery_charging=100\n',
  'performanceData': ['battery_charging=100'],
  'severity': 0,
  'summary': ['']}]
  values: []}), (<Products.ZenRRD.zencommand.Cmd instance at 0x5ab0c68>, ParsedResults
  events: [{'component': '',
  'device': 'machine01',
  'eventClass': '/Cmd/Fail',
  'eventKey': 'time_to_charge',
  'message': '|time_to_charge=0\n',
  'performanceData': ['time_to_charge=0'],
  'severity': 0,
  'summary': ['']}]
  values: []})]

so the data is there for performanceData and so on, but still nothing on the graphs.

2012-10-24 12:49:48 UTC

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69488#69488

What does your script echo? It looks like the datapoint is named "Battery Charging", but you're returning

ianw1974
2012-10-24 13:02:51 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69489#69489

I've currently been looking into that, thought my output was wrong.  Yes, you're correct.  I'd been trying to get the graphs to have some decent readable text, and put it in the wrong place.  I changed the datapoints now, and now I'm getting value options, where I wasn't getting before.
Post by ianw1974
  events: [{'component': '',
  'device': '172.20.0.173',
  'eventClass': '/Cmd/Fail',
  'eventKey': 'battery_charging',
  'message': '|battery_charging=100\n',
  'performanceData': ['battery_charging=100'],
  'severity': 0,
  'summary': ['']}]
  values: [(({}, 'battery_charging'), 100.0)]})]
so now I think I'm there, I just need to see what happens with the graphs now in the next couple of hours.

themactech
2012-10-04 13:45:23 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Script Monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68860#68860

I like extending the snmpd daemon.  You could include your scripts in the snmpd configuration, it will get executed every time you query that oid and return your data on branches.  All of this is done simply by editing a text file on the remote machine.

At that point you only need to add snmp datapoint in zenoss.

Manuel